Motivation is something we all need sometimes to keep us moving. The other week as I was looking for a particular scripture I came across another one I hadn’t seen in awhile. Below Jesus shares a story of a widow who kept going to an unjust judge with a plea to be granted justice against her adversary. I love this because Jesus took the time to encourage us and let us know He will answer us and bring justice to his chosen people!
The Parable of the Persistent Widow:
Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’
4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”
6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”
1. Keep praying and doing what God has put right in front of you to do.
2. Don’t give up. You may get tired, discouraged, scared etc. but God will help you succeed if you simply do your best everyday and don’t give up.
3. Lot’s of unfair things happen in life. Take it to Jesus until he brings justice in your situation. God often rewards us and gives us what seems to be unfair advantages sometimes because he has seen all of the struggles we’ve gone through in life.
4. Success in our walk with God, college, career’s, businesses and life comes as we are persistent.
5. Motivation comes from the widow in this story because she basically showed us that even people who don’t love God or care about what people think will step up and do the right thing when we press them to… how much more will God intervene and grant us justice?
6. The widow in this story was relentless. She came before the unjust judge day after day after day and she was granted justice.
7. We face challenges daily and throughout our life and careers that don’t seem fair. Yet God has given us a formula that works every time. We should continue to pray, and not give up and he will answer us.
Real Life Example: Our family has recently gone through a number of things that are so unfair it leaves people speechless. We needed to pay a bill, tried to and property management refused to receive it. They also refused to look into the fact it wasn’t in collections either. So what happened. Our family had to split up for about 6 months. My husband and I lived in our car and were homeless all last winter because of a managers attitude. Still, we can’t get proper housing because we have to battle all of this housing stuff we already tried to take care of. Is it fair? No. Am I angry beyond words some days? Yes. But daily we take our request to God to help us get into permanent housing that meets our needs. And you know what, one day very soon we will be settled. I know this because I know and believe God is working and has heard our constant prayer for justice in this situation. So whatever you are going through know God has a way to turn everything around. Just keep praying, do what He says and be thankful and your answer will come sooner than you think!
What are the things you are praying for God to do in your life, education, career or ministry? Have you given up?
I challenge you today to bring your struggle and injustice to God and expect Him to answer!